Saturday, September 5, 2009

FNQ: One hell of a destination

I got up to the top of Mt Molloy the other afternoon and had to go back for another lap - the second time up the hill there were all these black lines on the road that weren't there the first time around... ; )

The road made me reconsider some of my lines which saw an improvement in my adaptability and an upping of the fun factor. I've been straightening out my ess bends a lot more, aiming straight for the apex of the second rather than establishing a wide entry. Exits might not be as fast (maybe), but the bike's more stable (I've been pushing the front quite severely on occasion flopping it over), it smooths out the throttle demands, and makes the first bend easier to navigate (especially if sight is bad).

The Gillies, another beauty, certainly lives up to its reputation (though there aren't really 365 corners). It's actually so good a road that I found it hard to ride fast enough - not only is the surface great, the road is relatively wide, the motorists are generally quite considerate (they use turnouts! - and are more thinly spread than most routes too), and the corners are so predictable and relentless that tyres are operating at track temperature, even when riding with the full-gear handicap. I have never gotten tyres this hot on the road before - that's the kind of road the Gillies is.

There are only two downsides to the Gillies: it makes me want to ride faster; and at the bottom is the highway to Cairns.

The road along the coast to Port Douglas is scenic, but God knows how you find space on it that isn't filled with a motorhome. It was every bit as frustrating as the highway through Cairns. Found a good coffee in Port Douglas though which brightened the spirit (and prepared me well to climb Mt Molloy).


--------
@JohnSBaxter
2009-traveldiary.blogspot.com
2009-motorcyclist.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment