Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Riding gear: Shifty experiences

I just wrote an item on my todo list which provided cause to stop and think: haven't I been here before?

Working at MCA I came across a broad range of Shift products and was broadly impressed. They seemed to offer good attention to detail, sensible design - and often they look shit hot as well. There were some reservations by some - but given those people were generally suggesting the European garments with 50-100% more on the price tag, I took these reservations tongue in cheek. And I know at least one with a lot of experience with the product who swears by them.

I am now the proud (...ish) owner of a pair of Shift kevlarred riding jeans, and some Shift sports gloves.

The gloves fit the bill perfectly when I was shopping - I wanted good overall protection, a wrist strap and a pricetage under $200. And they fit 'like a glove'. They were a no brainer, and generally seemed to offer good value. Within a couple of weeks, the stitching on the palmside of the fingers had buckled on a number of fingers - I took them back and they duly got restitched. Within a couple of months, the other hand has pulled apart and remain that way - taking them back is not worth the effort or wait, and I haven't yet gotten around to doing it myself. I am still happy with my purchase, but would be much happier if something was available with the same features and fit and was actually made properly.

The jeans are a reasonable amount cheaper than Draggins (and Hornees again), fit well and look so much hotter. I really like my jeans. Others expressed some reservation, but couldn't really give anything specific. The kevlar is much thinner - but should still do the job, right? Reading that the 'kevlar' pad is actually only 20% kevlar put any such misunderstandings to rest. Oh well, I got what I paid for - ultimately still happy with my favourite jeans.

But... on my todo list now: 'restitch the crotch of jeans". Frankly, I expect further deterioration. Compared to Draggins - or any half-decent jean - which I've heard of people wearing for 10+ years without drama, this is uninspiring.


... you can make your own judgement - with a bit more information than what you might see initially: the positive design elements which drive the sales of the the Shifty brand.

--------
@JohnSBaxter
2009-traveldiary.blogspot.com
2009-motorcyclist.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. A mate of mine got some Rjays leather pants, wore them one day & the crotch stitching just went on them. That was 10 yrs ago but i've never been tempted by Rjays since. Have also seen an unlabelled leather jacket explode on impact into its constituent panels & that was a bit of a disappointment for the person inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was!
    RJays has gotten much better in the last decade, but is still a budget brand - noticeably more budget than Shift I might add. The newer textile stuff especially is quite good value (don't you have an RJays jacket? I KNOW you had an RJays helmet) - I'm quite happy with my DS so far. I wouldn't buy any leather though (or, MORE leather I should say... but the RJays leather I have is so poor it hardly warrants a mention as gear - I didn't get what I pay for, even at the price I did pay).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeees ride to the conditions of your gear has always been a good one to live by & keep skin by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Shift jeans are falling to pieces and are now being kept together with rags torn from a shirt picked up at Exmouth op shop. Their charm has increased somewhat, and I will definitely keep them. I think they'd go down well enough in trendy Melbourne.
    In a fall...? Well I'm in the market for some Draggins.

    Interesting comment Hamish... some of the times I've been riding with you you must have had some pretty good gear. :p

    ReplyDelete